I have a fever that I just can’t shake. But before you panic and have me quarantined by the CDC, my current state shouldn't alarm you. That is, unless you have a baby...in which case you should HIDE THEM FROM ME IMMEDIATELY.
Hi, my name is Rebeccafaith and I have baby fever.
It’s all very new to me. I haven't been the baby-craving type. Even when I was pregnant with Dylan, it was more of a fact than an achievement. Sure, I was excited and looking forward to being a mom, but there was no list with a box to check off, and being impregnated wasn’t filling any sort of void or offering me a sense of purpose…that I was aware of. Cause you know....babies. They change your life. Wiping asses quickly becomes no big deal and you'll still love them even after being forced out of bed six times a night. And as they grow and get bigger, there's the chance you'll be left wanting another one. It's madness. It's purpose. It's a void I didn't know I had. And it's definitely the fever.
- I use every opportunity to remind my husband that Dylan needs a sibling. Just look at him! He wont share! He needs a sibling to jack his toys.
- I choose to "forget" all the work that comes with an infant.
- I also choose to "forget" how expensive they are.
- I randomly drop subjective one liners like, I don’t want to put all my eggs in one basket, honey.
- I've developed the super ability to spot and identify babies of all ages. Babies! They're everywhere!
- And once spotted, I point them out. Aww! Look at how cute that baby is! I SAID LOOK!
- My automated reply to "Dylan looks so big" comments are, "Yeah I'm ready for number two."
- I'm only half kidding when I ask if I can keep your baby.
- I have no shame in my morbidity: When we die, Dylan won’t be alone if he has a brother or sister.
- I buy pregnancy tests "just in case" I might need them..someday.
- I make weird hippy-dippy declarations like, I have so much love still left to give!
- There's officially a list. With a box. To be checked.
This feverish infection isn't really my fault. I mean, just look at how quickly they grow! Plus, it's not like I'll be this crazy forever because luckily, there's a cure. And it's just what the doctor ordered: A baby.